Before there was Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Kindle readers, and GOOGLE, the main source to find information was at the local library. We used terms like microfiche, located books via a card catalog, and of course you checked that stamped card in the back of the book to find out when to return it. Technology has made it so convenient to obtain books and other media items that a lot of us have forgotten about the free the option called the library. Outside of the school library, some kids have never even been to a public library. Well the public library always needs the support of the community. Heck, your tax dollars are paying for it anyway, so you may as well visit more often. But before you just go to the library, either reserve it online or call ahead to ensure that it’s available. If it’s not available at the closet library either ask when its due back, and/or call the other locations…you never know!
Without further ado…below is a guide to the library services that you should totally take advantage of from the Atlanta public library.
1. Chromebooks Kits
Instead of waiting for a computer to free up at the library, and the pressure of the time limit, you can now BORROW a Chromebook (with wifi) for up to 21 days! Talk about the library stepping up their game!
2. Free/ Discounted Admission to Local Attractions
Currently at the Atlanta library, you can get access to the following…
- Georgia State Parks and Historic sites– There are 2 passes that available to check out. The first is a parking pass that will allow you to park for free. The second pass provides free admission at any Georgia State Historic Site for up to four visitors. And there is a BONUS pass, where you can check out the Park Pass Backpack, which includes binoculars and nature guides!
- Zoo Atlanta– This pass can only be checked out once per year, and admits 4 people for free. It’s redeemable Monday-Friday only, including holidays or school breaks. The Zoo Pass must be used within 28 days of the date on the pass.
- Center For Puppetry Arts– With a valid Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System library card is valid up to 4 free museum admissions or 25% off an “all inclusive ticket”, which includes a Family Series Performance, a Create-A-Puppet Workshop, and the museum! This pass is valid for 7 days and can be checked out once per year per card and household.
- GoFish Education Center– Your library card is food for free admission for as many as six family members.
- Emory Michael C Carlos Museum– Adults with a valid Atlanta-Fulton Public Library System library card can check out a free pass that is valid up to six (6) free general admission tickets.
3. Special Interest Workshops and Classes
From writing workshops, storytime, poetry, and even yoga, the library has free opportunities that may line up with your interests! Or perhaps you just want to dabble and discover….no matter it’s FREE!!!
4. Self Checkout
Meet Libby! She is the biggest GAME CHANGER of all!! Did you know your local library has thousands of ebooks and audiobooks? Download the app and you can borrow them, instantly, for free! You can download books and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space.